Media releases and news items
2016 council elections report
Our report on the 2016 council elections report highlights key election issues, challenges and outcomes from an integrity perspective.
We investigated the following in the lead-up to the elections:
- the election period policy review
- candidate eligibility audit and
- campaign donation returns project
The report shows this work has contributed to reductions in:
- substantiated complaints relating to council public resources used for campaigning
- complaints about media outlets
- resulted in the removal of 2 candidates from respective ballots prior to election day
During the elections:
- 2135 candidates nominated themselves for 637 vacancies
- 2000 enquiries and 409 formal complaints were received, ranging from minor campaign material offences, to serious corruption allegations that would undermine the democratic system
Read the full report:
2016 Wyndham City Council elections
We receive a larger number of complaints during local government elections, particularly those in municipalities with a high number of candidate nominations. There were 95 candidates running for Wyndham City Council in the October 2016 election. Community members submitted complaints about the eligibility of candidates, during and after the election. We completed an investigated and published the findings in the final report:
Election period policy review
We completed a review following changes to the Local Government Act 1989 in November 2015. The inclusion of section 93B into the Act required all councils to adopt an election period policy by 31 March 2016.
The policy helps:
- the community understand the procedures each council will adopt during the election period to ensure the fairness of the election
- with appropriate use of council resources
- prevent inappropriate decision making
The policy must be provided to all current councillors and be published on the council website.
Election Process Review
In the lead-up to the 2012 Victorian local government general elections, we selected eight councils to review their election processes, with a focus on the validity and accuracy of the voters’ list.
Election Caretaker Policy
We reviewed election caretaker arrangements at all 79 Victorian local councils prior to the 2012 general elections.
Reviewed 11 October 2020