Making it easy for Victorians to report wrongdoing in local government

New video highlights the roles of Victoria's integrity agencies in handling complaints

Sunday, 4 October 2020 at 11:00 pm

Victoria’s integrity agencies want Victorians to know how they can complain about, or report wrongdoing in local government.

The new video, My local council: if something is not right, who do I complain to?, explains which integrity agency people can complain to about issues and suspected wrongdoing with council matters, councillors, and local government officials.

The video, produced by the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission, IBAC, the Local Government Inspectorate and the Victorian Ombudsman, is timely given this month's council elections.

Integrity agencies encourage Victorians to watch and share the video to help maintain integrity in our local government. The video is available on IBAC, Local Government Inspectorate and Victorian Ombudsman websites.

Quotes attributable to IBAC Deputy Commissioner David Wolf

“Integrity agencies rely on the information provided by citizens to effectively detect and address corruption. We want Victorians to know they can safely and easily let us know if they suspect something is not right with their local council.”

“Councils are really core to how our communities function. The community must have confidence that they act in the best interest of their constituents. This video is one example of how integrity agencies work together to detect and expose activities which undermine the very foundations of our democracy.”

Quotes attributable to Acting Chief Municipal Inspector Dr John Lynch

“Election periods are an ideal time to remind people of the importance of integrity in government. I’m pleased that Victoria’s integrity agencies have developed strong working relationships to ensure all complaints and issues raised can be addressed efficiently and thoroughly assessed.”

Quotes attributable to Victorian Ombudsman Deborah Glass

“I hope this video encourages more Victorians to speak up if they have an issue involving their local council. I encourage councils to welcome feedback from their communities - complaints are a great way for them to find out how the public thinks they can improve their service.

“If you are unhappy about how a Council handles your complaint or about an action or decision of a Council or Council staff member, you can contact my office.  As this video explains, there is a ‘no wrong door’ approach. If you are unsure of which integrity agency to contact with your issue, contact any one of us and we will help your complaint get to the right place.”