What we do

We investigate concerns about councillors, council staff or elections. In particular:

  • misuse of position (section 123 of the Local Government Act 2020) by a councillor
  • conflict of interest (from section 127-131 of the Act) by a councillor, senior council employee or person providing advice to council
  • disclosure of confidential information (section 125)
  • all council election offences including nomination of someone not qualified to be a council election candidate (sections 286-305)

We generally do not investigate complaints about:

  • planning and building permits
  • council services
  • performance of council staff, unless related to offences under the Act
  • council decisions, unless there is a possible conflict of interest
  • council fines
  • rates charges

See the table below for options if your complaint relates to these issues.

To report a concern, you can lodge an online submission. 

Make a complaint

If you have any feedback on the content or layout of our complaint forms, please fill out our brief survey. Thank you for helping us improve our complaints process.

Find common complaints on our Case studies page.

Our complaints process

Once we receive a complaint, it will be assessed to determine if it is a matter we will look into.

We’ll aim to notify you of the outcome of the assessment within 5 working days.

If we do investigate a matter, it may not start immediately due to other cases being investigated and resource constraints. Investigations can take significant time to complete.

Once the investigation has been completed, you’ll be notified of the outcome.

Types of complaints and who to contact

Council services

If you have a complaint about a council service, it’s best to solve it with your council first. Your council has a complaints process you can use. Find your local council.


Other complaints we’re unable to investigate

Type of complaint Who can help


Police misconduct

For complaints about corruption and misconduct in the public sector and Victoria Police, including:

  • taking or offering bribes
  • using a position of influence dishonestly
  • fraud or theft
  • misusing workplace information
Misconduct in the public sector (apart from the items listed above) IBAC

Decisions made by a council, government departments and agencies, including:

  • services
  • communication
  • complaint handling
  • compliance with policies, procedures or law
  • other actions or decisions that might be unreasonable
Victorian Ombudsman
Traffic fines (including speeding tickets, red lights and tolls)
Legal services (including lawyers) Legal Services Commissioner
Health services Mental Health Complaints Commissioner
Health Complaints Commissioner
Privacy concerns about how Victorian Government collects and uses information Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner
Court decisions The Chief Justice of the relevant court

Integrity system, including complaints about:

  • IBAC
  • the Chief Examiner and Examiners
  • Victorian Ombudsman and Ombudsman officers
  • Auditor General and VAGO officers
Victorian Inspectorate

Complaints about us

If you’d like to raise a concern about us, you can request a review by contacting the Operations Manager.

Please include:

  • reason you’re not satisfied
  • any supporting evidence.

If you have a complaint about a staff member from our team, please contact the Chief Municipal Inspector.

If the complaint relates to an administrative decision or function of the Inspectorate, and you have been unable to resolve this using the process above, a complaint can be lodged with Ombudsman Victoria.

More information and downloads

Integrity agencies and what they do - online version

Reviewed 19 July 2021