Alternative arrangements due to COVID-19 pandemic
Inspectorate staff will continue to be available during the COVID-19 pandemic but will be forwarding all calls from office landlines. If you have issues getting in contact by phone, please email them directly or contact
Thank you for your understanding.
What we do
We investigate concerns about councillors, council staff or elections. In particular:
- misuse of position (section 123 of the ) by a councillor
- conflict of interest (from section 127-131 of the Act) by a councillor, senior council employee or person providing advice to council
- disclosure of confidential information (section 125)
- all council election offences including nomination of someone not qualified to be a council election candidate (sections 286-305)
We generally do not investigate complaints about:
- planning and building permits
- council services
- performance of council staff, unless related to offences under the Act
- council decisions, unless there is a possible conflict of interest
- council fines
- rates charges
See the table below for options if your complaint relates to these issues.
Our previous submission form will also be available until testing of the new version is complete. If there are issues with the new form, please use this version below.
Our complaints process
Once we receive a complaint, it will be assessed to determine if it is a matter we will look into.
We’ll aim to notify you of the outcome of the assessment within 5 working days.
If we do investigate a matter, it may not start immediately due to other cases being investigated and resource constraints. Investigations can take significant time to complete.
Once the investigation has been completed, you’ll be notified of the outcome.
Types of complaints and who to contact
For complaints about decisions made by a council, government departments and agencies, including:
- complaint handling
- compliance with policies, procedures or law
- other actions or decisions that might be unreasonable
Contact the Victorian Ombudsman:
Complaints about us
- reason you’re not satisfied
- any supporting evidence
Other complaints we’re unable to investigate
More information and downloads
Reviewed 03 April 2020