Election complaint form

Submit an online complaint if you have a concern related to any council elections in Victoria.

Before you complete this form

  • Understand what we can and can't investigate.
  • Be clear which council and person are the subjects of your allegation. See the Know Your Council website if you don't know which council your complaint relates to.
  • Understand your privacy options.
  • Please be aware that there are penalties for providing false or misleading information to the Inspectorate.

After completing this complaint form, you can help protect your privacy by clearing your browsing history including your cache and all autofill form data.

If you're unsure how to do this, see these help guides for the web browser you are using: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge .

Do you want to make an anonymous complaint?(Required)
We protect your privacy whether you tell us who you are or not. Making an anonymous complaint means that you will not be contacted about the outcome of your complaint.
If you selected to remain anonymous, this will only be used to send you a copy of this form. 

Please limit to 50 words or less. 
Who are they?(Required)

Please choose the statement that best describes your complaint. (Required)
We know all complaints are unique and some complaints include many different allegations. If your complaint fits more than one of the statements, choose the category that you think is the most important or the most serious.
Does your complaint involve material that is posted online? (Required)
Here's an example: Candidate Mary Smith called me on the telephone and offered me $50 in exchange for my vote. 
What date did this happen?
Did you witness this yourself?

We understand that you may feel distressed, angry or frustrated about what happened. Focusing on the facts, explaining events clearly and keeping your complaint concise means we will be able to understand and assess it as quickly as possible. If there are multiple allegations, please number them. 
If we need them we will ask you for them later.

If your complaint shows that a councillor or member of council staff has engaged or proposes to engage in improper conduct, this could constitute a public interest disclosure. You can choose to have us assess the complaint if you tell us that the disclosure (your complaint) is not a public interest disclosure.

Find more information on our Public interest disclosures page(opens in a new window).

As there is a legislative requirement under the PID Act to opt in or out of making a public interest disclosure, please type one of these statements into the text box below:
  • "This disclosure is not a public interest disclosure".
  • "I wish this to be considered as a public interest disclosure".

The Local Government Inspectorate (Inspectorate) collects the information that you provide with this complaint form. The information that you provide is used to respond to your enquiry. You can request access to, and corrections of, any personal information provided in this form. Requests for access or correction should be sent to inspectorate@lgi.vic.gov.au.

The Inspectorate is using the services of Drupal 9 to administer this form. The information that you provide is stored in our Drupal 9 content management system and Microsoft Azure servers.

For more information on the Inspectorate's handling of any personal information, please refer to the Inspectorate's Privacy Statement